We are happy to announce the release of Metals v0.9.0, codename "Lithium", which main focus is introducing support for Scala 3 starting with versions 0.23.0 and 0.24.0-RC1. We also added support for Scala 2.13.2 and a number of other useful improvements.
|Commits since last release||140|
For full details: https://github.com/scalameta/metals/milestone/13?closed=1
Metals is a language server for Scala that works with VS Code, Vim, Emacs, Sublime Text, Atom and Eclipse. Metals is developed at the Scala Center and VirtusLab with the help from Lunatech along with contributors from the community.
Check out https://scalameta.org/metals/, and give Metals a try!
- Scala 2.13.2 and basic Scala 3 support
- Improvements to the Bloop integration
- Automatically add '+' on newline when inside a string
- New Code action: "Import all missing symbols"
Basic Scala 3 support
For a couple of the last months we have been working on making Metals work with the Dotty compiler, which will become the new Scala 3. This effort included contributions to Metals, Bloop as well as to Dotty. Thanks to the great help from the Dotty compiler team, we now have an option to generate semanticDB files used for our internal indexes, which allowed some features to work without any changes to the core code. It is also important to mention that without jvican and his Bloop project, which already supports Scala 3, all this would have taken a much longer time.
That said, there are some issues that are lacking in the Scala 3 support that are available for 2.x versions. Most notably, we are still missing all of the more advanced completions, filtering and sorting of completion items or auto imports. There are also some possible issues connected to optional braces and top level methods features. In the upcoming months we are planning to address most of these issues and implement the lacking features.
The first supported versions will be
0.24.0-RC1, which are the
latest stable and the latest release candidate respectably. We plan to always
support the latest stable and release candidate until there is a more stable
release cycle for Scala 3.
Please do report any issues you encounter, especially connected to some new Scala 3 features, which will be an immense help to the team.
Improvements related to Bloop/Metals integration
There have been multiple reported issues in the last weeks about hanging compilation, which can make the Metals workspace hard to use. Our top priority has been figuring out all the possible issues both in Metals as well as in Bloop. Thanks to some fixes done by jvican, and some work on the Metals side on the Bloop integration we're hopeful that some of the issues are becoming less frequent. These fixes are included in this release.
We also reworked the Metals tree view to highlight some commands that a user can use to fix their workspace as well as added two new commands:
Clean compile workspace- clean compile the whole workspace - might be needed in case of broken compiler caches.
Restart Bloop server- restart the Bloop build server, which should help with the cases where compilation would hang.
Even if those commands help, do not hesitate to report any issues. We are also monitoring the situation ourselves and investigating all problems encountered.
Automatically add '+' on newline inside a string
The Metals team was recently joined by mlachkar,
an engineer from the Scala Center, who already contributed a number of features
and bug fixes to the project. Thanks to her, we can now easily enter a newline
inside a single line string and that string will be correctly split with an
Code action to import all missing symbols
Previously, it was only available to import one symbol at a time in case of missing imports. Thanks to colineto we now have the ability to import everything in bulk for every unambiguous import available. Unambiguous in this case meaning that there is only one possible import to choose from.
- Added an option to ignore .scalafmt.conf creation message.
- Fixed hanging while debugging if workspace had errors.
- Fixed issue with folding in non 2.12.11 workspaces.
- Turn off "Go to parent" code lenses by default due to performance problems in large workspaces.
- Fixed false parsing errors in 2.13.x workspaces.
- Added date string to metals logs.
- Fixed issue with additional src directories being created automatically.
- Fixed "Go to implementation" to work with local aliases.
- Fixed auto-import issue in package objects.
Big thanks to everybody who contributed to this release! We had a lot of new contributors doing some really exemplary work.
$ git shortlog -sn --no-merges v0.8.4..v0.9.0
Olafur Pall Geirsson
Merged pull requests:
- Reworked Bloop connection and Tree View #1677 (tgodzik)
- fix auto import position when package object inside package #1686 (colineto)
- Move additional settings to InitializationOptions #1684 (ckipp01)
- Improve code lens generation time #1679 (kpbochenek)
- Don't ask .scalafmt.conf creation again #1607 (takezoe)
- Create a
ClientConfigto contain all configuration #1674 (ckipp01)
- Handle return to line in strings in OnTypeFormatting #1611 (mlachkar)
- Bump Bloop version to check if it solves issues with hanging compilation #1680 (tgodzik)
- Improve rendering of Pants command errors. #1681 (olafurpg)
- Allow amending without editor prompt #1676 (tpasternak)
- Add Bloop zipkin trace debug and verbose settings #1678 (wiwa)
- Update Scala 3 version to 0.23.0 #1671 (tgodzik)
- Make sure that the workspace contains no errors when running #1658 (tgodzik)
- Turn off go to parent code lenses by default #1666 (tgodzik)
- Use DefinitionProvider instead of index in RenameProvider #1637 (tgodzik)
- Feature : Code action Import all missing symbols #1652 (coline-lunatech)
- Add support for Scala 2.13.2 #1659 (tgodzik)
- Properly set the arguments field in sever commands documentation #1606 (ayoub-benali)
- Handle initialization options #1626 (ayoub-benali)
- Remove optimisation to reuse semanticdb jar from the classpath #1657 (tgodzik)
- update dialect of worksheet to scala213 #1656 (mlachkar)
- Add in updated documentation for vim #1651 (ckipp01)
- Dynamically read fastpass zipkin properties from fastpass/fastpass.properties #1655 (wiwa)
- Detect Scala 3 main outer methods to create code lenses #1640 (tgodzik)
- Delete all created folders created for the FileWatcher #1629 (mlachkar)
- goto Implementations with local alias types #1598 (eilite)
- Fix NewFileLspSuite on Windows #1624 (tgodzik)
- Update Sublime in the editors overview doc #1631 (ayoub-benali)
- Show date in logs #1630 (mlachkar)
- Add support for Scala 3 #1523 (tgodzik)
- Update bloop-config, bloop-frontend, ... to 1.4.0-RC1-192-72a856b6 #1615 (scala-steward)
- Update guava to 29.0-jre #1618 (scala-steward)
- Update flyway-core to 6.3.3 #1619 (scala-steward)
- Update ipcsocket to 1.0.1 #1621 (scala-steward)
- Update scalameta, semanticdb-scalac, ... to 4.3.8 #1623 (scala-steward)
- Update sbt, scripted-plugin to 1.3.9 #1620 (scala-steward)
- Update metaconfig-core to 0.9.10 #1617 (scala-steward)
- Update sbt-scalafix to 0.9.14 #1616 (scala-steward)
- Update munit, sbt-munit to 0.7.2 #1622 (scala-steward)
- Don't generate timestamp in
.bsp/bloop.jsonfile. #1612 (olafurpg)
- Http client delegates
metalsInputBoxto the underlying client #1613 (alekseiAlefirov)
- Add properties for bloop zipkin tracing to fastpass #1582 (wiwa)
- Update millw.bat #1602 (kag0)
- Update installation guide for Sublime #1597 (ayoub-benali)
- Add release notes for 0.8.4 version #1596 (tgodzik)