We're happy to announce the release of Metals v0.11.0! Due to the number of changes in this release we decided to introduce one more minor version before Metals 1.0.0, which is planned to come this year.
|Commits since last release||337|
For full details: https://github.com/scalameta/metals/milestone/45?closed=1
Metals is a language server for Scala that works with VS Code, Vim, Emacs, Sublime Text and Eclipse. Metals is developed at the Scala Center and VirtusLab with the help from Lunatech along with contributors from the community.
Check out https://scalameta.org/metals/, and give Metals a try!
- Add CFR class file viewer.
- [Scala 3] Type annotations on code selection.
- Simplify usage of sbt server.
- Better support for mill BSP.
- Extract value code action.
- Add command to run current file.
- Support test explorer API.
- Add go to definition via links for synthetic decorations.
- Basic Java support.
- Add support for Scala 2.13.8.
- Reworked Metals Doctor.
In addition to the recently added semanticdb, tasty and javap functionalities, thanks to the efforts of Arthurm1, it's now possible to decompile class files using Lee Benfield's CFR (Class File Reader).
CFR decompiles class files to java, which is much more readable than using
In the future this might help in go to definition for jars that do not have a corresponding source jar, which is what Metals uses today.
Editor support: VS Code, nvim-metals, Sublime Text
This can be added as a new command for the users to invoke.
In one of the last releases v0.10.8 we added the ability to inspect the type of an expression that is currently selected. We are happy to announce that this functionality is now also available for Scala 3, which is thanks to the continued effort of the team to bring the users the best Scala 3 experience possible.
Editor support: VS Code, nvim-metals, Sublime Text
Previously if you wanted to use sbt as your build server instead of the default Bloop you'd need to ensure a .bsp/sbt.json file existed before you tried to switch your build server. We originally created the metals.generate-bsp command for this, but realized this potentially forced extra steps on the user. To make this simpler, now even if no BSP entry exists for sbt and you attempt to switch your build server to sbt via the metals.bsp-switch command, we'll either use the existing .bsp/sbt.json file if one exists or automatically generate it (needs at least sbt 1.4.1) for you and then switch to it.
Editor support: All.
Recently Mill has complete revamped their
BSP implementation allowing for a much better experience for Metals users. Just
like sbt, you can now use the
metals.bsp-switch command to use Mill as your
BSP server (needs at least Mill 0.10.0-M4). Keep in mind that the BSP support in
Mill is still a work-in-progress. If you are interested in Mill BSP and you're a
Metals user, feel free to include your input
here as they are requesting
feedback on improving the experience.
Editor support: All.
In this release we introduce a new code action that allows users to automatically extract method parameter to a separate value.
For example in a invocation such as:
when user invokes the new code action they will see:
This should work correctly for both Scala 2 and Scala 3, in which case it will try to maintain your coding style even if a block is needed.
One important limitation is that this new code action doesn't allow extracting lambdas or partial functions, as this has the potential of breaking your code.
Currently, this works only in method parameters and Metals will try to choose the exact parameter to extract even if there is a number of nested ones. This will most likely be improved in the future to also be used in other places such as if conditions or to allow users to choose the exact parameter they want to extract.
Editor support: All
Based on the work of ckipp01 in one of the previous releases it's now possible to invoke a command to run anything in the current file. This means that if we use this new command anything that is located within the currently focused file, whether it's tests or a main class, will be properly discovered and run.
In Visual Studio Code this replaces the previously default config generation and
now if no
launch.json is specified in the workspace, any file can be run using
the default run command (
Editor support: Any editor that supports DAP
Metals 0.11.0 implements Visual Studio Code's Testing API. According to the documentation:
The Testing API allows Visual Studio Code extensions to discover tests in the workspace and publish results. Users can execute tests in the Test Explorer view and from decorations. With these new APIs, Visual Studio Code supports richer displays of outputs and diffs than was previously possible.
Test Explorer UI is a new default way to run/debug test suites and replaces Code Lenses. The new UI adds a testing view, which shows all test suites declared in project's modules. From this panel it's also possible to run/debug test or to navigate to test's definition.
Code Lenses are still the default in other editors and can be brought back by
"metals.testUserInterface": "Code Lenses"
Editor support: Visual Studio Code
Since Metals v0.9.6 it's possible to show additional information about sythetic code that is being generated by the compiler. This includes implicit parameters, classes and conversions. It wasn't however possible to find their definitions. This limitation was mostly due to the lack of proper UI options in different editors.
Recently, we've managed to work around it by using command links that can be rendered in the hover and will bring the user to the right definition.
Editor support: Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text
Thanks to the the effort led by Arthurm1 Metals now supports a subset of features for Java files and even Java only build targets. Currently the biggest missing piece is interactive compiler that would allow us to properly support features such as completions, hover or signature help.
The support includes:
- code folding
- go to definition
- go to implementation
- run/debug code lense for Java main classes
These functionalities will also now work thanks to dos65's work in dependency sources.
We are still missing some of the interactive features such as:
- signature help
- selection range
An important note to make is that, while we still want to support some more features, Metals is not a Java language server, so we will never offer the same amount of functionality as the tools and IDEs focused on the Java language. Current discussion about the scope of Java support can be found in this issue. Especially, we will most likely not support any more advanced refactorings or presentation compiler functions.
Visual Studio Code: In case you want to use Metals in a Java only workspace
it's now also possible to start Metals using a new
Start Metals button in the
the Metals tab. We don't want to start Metals as a default in such cases as some
other language server might be more suitable.
Editor support: All
Due to the other changes in this release the Metals Doctor needed to be reworked to better show the different targets that are available in the workspace as well as try to explain a bit better what is supported and why it might not work.
type column can now have 3 different values
sbt <version> or
Java. We also replaced some of the columnsm which are now:
- diagnostics - tells whether and what kind of diagnostics are published by the target.
- interactive - tells whether interactive features such as hover or completions are working, this should work for all supported Scala and sbt versions.
- semanticdb - explains whther the semanticdb indexes are generated for the target
- debugging - tells whether you can run or debug within that target
- Java support - in mixed targets this will tell users if the semanticdb indexes are also generated for Java files.
You can always look for explanation of these statuses underneath the table or on the right in the Recommendation column.
Editor support: All
If you are using the json output method for the doctor, you will need to modify the way it's displayed according to this.
- Allow to create trace files for debugging in
- Fix issues with stale code lens being shown. dos65
- Print Bloop logs when connection errored out. tgodzik
- Fix issues with given imports in organize imports. tgodzik
- Fix issues with type on selection in Ammonite scipts. tgodzik
- [Scala 3] Improve type shown for generics in hover. dos65
- [Scala 3] Fix go to defition for givens. dos65
- Use Mill
--importto import bloop when supported. lolgab
- Enable to create file with just package. kpodsiad
- Fix Gradle detection when file other than
build.gradleis at top level. GavinRay97
- Use proper dialect and ignore sbt targets when automatically setting up
- Detect missing src.zip in doctor. ayoub-benali
- Ensure autoimports don't break scala-cli directives. ckipp01
- [Scala 3] Don't show error type if it cannot be inferred by the compiler. tgodzik
- Fix analyze stacktrace when using toplevel methods. tgodzik
- [Scala 3] Fix insert type in case of type aliases. tgodzik
- [Scala 3] Use maybeOwner instead of owner when looking for shortened name. ckipp01
- [Scala 3] Fix autoimport with prefixes. dos65
Big thanks to everybody who contributed to this release or reported an issue!
Merged pull requests:
- Update Bloop to 1.4.12 #3497 (tgodzik)
- Fix issues with renames in Java files #3495 (tgodzik)
- feat(doctor): add in explanations to the json doctor output #3494 (ckipp01)
- Upgrade bloop to 1.4.11-51-ac1d788a #3492 (dos65)
- Fixed compilation issue #3496 (tgodzik)
- [Java] Support go-to-definition for
*.javadependency sources #3470 (dos65)
- Add edit distance for Java files #3480 (tgodzik)
- Show more information in the doctor #3426 (tgodzik)
- Add support for Scala 2.13.8 #3491 (tgodzik)
- docs: update user config docs #3490 (ckipp01)
- fix: override pprint in docs #3489 (ckipp01)
- Don't show warnings for .metals/.tmp files #3488 (tgodzik)
- Fix: Docusaurus Edit URL is broken #3487 (abestel)
- parallelize source file indexing #3485 (Arthurm1)
- Cache build targets #3481 (Arthurm1)
- [Scala3] Fix autoimport with prefixes #3484 (dos65)
- [Issue Template] Relax requirements #3474 (dos65)
- [Build] add CommandSuite to TestGroups #3472 (dos65)
- Add folding range for Java using Scanner #3468 (tgodzik)
- cleanup: remove ./sbt from root of project #3471 (ckipp01)
- docs: migrate gitter references to Discord #3469 (ckipp01)
- refactor: refactor bug_report.md to be a yaml template #3467 (ckipp01)
- Add tests for java go to implementation #3466 (tgodzik)
- fix: use maybeOwner instead of owner when looking for shortened name #3465 (ckipp01)
- [Scala 3] Fix insert type in case of type aliases #3460 (tgodzik)
- fix: reuse main annotation logic from code lens in debug provider #3463 (ckipp01)
- update: update millw and add script for it in the future #3457 (ckipp01)
- Scala Steward - ignore org.eclipse updates #3453 (dos65)
- Update flyway-core to 8.2.3 #3452 (scala-steward)
- Update interface to 1.0.6 #3433 (scala-steward)
- Update scribe, scribe-file, scribe-slf4j to 3.6.7 #3432 (scala-steward)
- Update mill-contrib-testng to 0.10.0-M5 #3431 (scala-steward)
- Update sbt-welcome to 0.2.2 #3429 (scala-steward)
- Update jackson-databind to 2.13.1 #3428 (scala-steward)
- Update bloop-config, bloop-launcher to 1.4.11-30-75fb3441 #3427 (scala-steward)
- Fix analyze stacktrace when using toplevel methods #3425 (tgodzik)
- [Scala 3] Fix issues when type cannot be inferred by the compiler #3423 (tgodzik)
- refactor: take care of some deprecation warnings #3420 (ckipp01)
- refactor: small build cleanups #3418 (ckipp01)
- Fix issue with imports #3417 (tgodzik)
- [Scalafmt] set proper dialect for sbt-metals #3416 (dos65)
- docs: add file ids to the docs for new file commands #3415 (ckipp01)
- Add run/debug code lense for Java main classes #3400 (tgodzik)
- fix: ensure autoimports don't break scala-cli directives #3412 (ckipp01)
- dep: update sbt to 1.6.1 #3413 (ckipp01)
- [Mtags releases] Fails command if tag name doesn't match any pattern #3410 (dos65)
- Detect missing src.zip in doctor #3401 (ayoub-benali)
- Hardcode eclipse java formatter dependencies #3406 (Arthurm1)
- Upgrade file-tree-views to 2.1.8. See #3379. #3405 (uncle-betty)
- [Scalafmt] Fixes for automatic dialect rewrite #3394 (dos65)
- Handle Java-only build targets #2520 (Arthurm1)
- Use quick pick instead of message requests for debug discovery #3392 (tgodzik)
- Add support for 3.1.1-RC2 #3391 (tgodzik)
- Support sublime command links #3378 (ayoub-benali)
- [UNTESTED] Fix Gradle detection, multimodule proj #3385 (GavinRay97)
- Add Arthur to the team! #3389 (tgodzik)
- [Actions] mtags-auto-release: specify github token #3390 (dos65)
- Print more info about missing presentation compiler #3388 (kpodsiad)
- Bump to sbt 1.6.0-RC2 #3384 (ckipp01)
- Move to Scala 3 published artifacts where possible #3382 (ckipp01)
- Enable to create file with just package #3375 (kpodsiad)
- Use full range when using go-to definition for synthetics #3374 (tgodzik)
- Fix quickpick #3353 (kpodsiad)
- Update requests to 0.7.0 #3367 (scala-steward)
- Update scalameta, semanticdb-scalac, ... to 4.4.31 #3372 (scala-steward)
- Update flyway-core to 8.2.2 #3370 (scala-steward)
- Update undertow-core to 2.2.14.Final #3369 (scala-steward)
- Update ujson to 1.4.3 #3368 (scala-steward)
- Update pprint to 0.7.1 #3366 (scala-steward)
- Update geny to 0.7.0 #3365 (scala-steward)
- Update bloop-config, bloop-launcher to 1.4.11-19-93ebe2c6 #3363 (scala-steward)
- [Scala3] Fix ImportMissingSymbol code action #3362 (dos65)
- Send Code lens refresh when supported by client #3355 (ayoub-benali)
- Add go to definition via links to synthetic decorations #3360 (tgodzik)
- [Build] Fix quick-publish-local #3361 (dos65)
- Add information about source of exceptions #3340 (tgodzik)
- Remove stray pprint #3357 (ckipp01)
- Use Mill
--importto import bloop when supported #3356 (lolgab)
- Add test discovery endpoint #3277 (kpodsiad)
- [Build] Add
quick-publish-localcommand #3351 (dos65)
- Actions - set jdk11 for mtags auto release #3348 (dos65)
- Wrap quickpick and input box results into options #3344 (kpodsiad)
- Cross tests - fix ignorance for
- [Actions] Fixes for mtags-auto-release workflow #3337 (dos65)
- Remove sublime version from the doc #3334 (ayoub-benali)
- Fix issues with non-latest Scala versions #3332 (tgodzik)
- Release process: publish
mtagsfor the latest Metals release #3281 (dos65)
- Improve the "(currently using)" message during bsp-switch. #3330 (ckipp01)
- Adjust json trace docs #3279 (kpodsiad)
- [Scala3] Fix go to defition for givens #3309 (dos65)
- Update xnio-nio to 3.8.5.Final #3327 (scala-steward)
- Bump coursier/setup-action from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 #3329 (dependabot[bot])
- Update scalafix-interfaces to 0.9.33 #3328 (scala-steward)
- Update flyway-core to 8.0.5 #3326 (scala-steward)
- Update undertow-core to 2.2.13.Final #3325 (scala-steward)
- Update geny to 0.6.11 #3324 (scala-steward)
- Update sbt-scalafix, scalafix-interfaces to 0.9.33 #3322 (scala-steward)
- [Scala3] Hover - improve tpe selection for signature and expression #3320 (dos65)
- Move inactive maintainers to a separate list #3319 (tgodzik)
- Remove unused stuff #3321 (alexarchambault)
- Add option to run everything in the current file #3311 (tgodzik)
- Add extract value code action #3297 (tgodzik)
- Welcome Kamil to the team! #3317 (tgodzik)
- Document support of find text in dependency command in sublime #3318 (ayoub-benali)
- Better support for mill BSP #3308 (ckipp01)
- Fix json rendering in documentation #3316 (ayoub-benali)
- Add missing commands to client commands documentation #3315 (ayoub-benali)
- Add isCommandInHtmlSupported to InitializationOptions doc #3314 (ayoub-benali)
- Update sublime doc regarding Hover for selection #3313 (ayoub-benali)
- Simplify usage of sbt server when no .bsp/sbt.json exists #3304 (ckipp01)
- Support Scala3-NIGHTLY releases #3280 (dos65)
- Document source file analyzer support in sublime #3310 (ayoub-benali)
- ScalaVersion - discover new mtags version by coursier #3278 (dos65)
- Update ammonite to 2.4.1 #3292 (tgodzik)
- Fix expression for selection range in Ammonite #3303 (tgodzik)
- [Scala 3] Add selection range #3276 (tgodzik)
- Set rangeHoverProvider under experimental capabilities #3293 (ayoub-benali)
- Update to latest millw 0.3.9 #3295 (ckipp01)
- Update scalafix-interfaces to 0.9.32 #3291 (scala-steward)
- Update sbt-scalafix, scalafix-interfaces to 0.9.32 #3287 (scala-steward)
- Update mill-contrib-testng to 0.9.10 #3288 (scala-steward)
- Update qdox to 2.0.1 #3289 (scala-steward)
- Update flyway-core to 8.0.4 #3290 (scala-steward)
- docs: update commands that now use
- Update organize-imports rule with a fix for givens #3273 (tgodzik)
- Add example about attaching debugger #3275 (tgodzik)
- Add CFR class file viewer #3247 (Arthurm1)
- Print Bloop logs when connection errored out #3274 (tgodzik)
- Formatter: always specify global
runner.dialect. #3259 (dos65)
- Finer grained rules on build errors for debug discovery. #3271 (ckipp01)
- RunDebugLens - fix stale lens #3270 (dos65)
- [Docs] Align the info about endpoints and their parameters with latest release #3232 (dos65)
- SuperMethodCodeLens - do not show stale lenses #3267 (dos65)
- Take into account trace files in .metals directory #3103 (kpodsiad)
- Fix issue with empty string in completions #3269 (tgodzik)
- Update versions #3268 (tgodzik)
- Add release notes for Metals v0.10.9 #3264 (tgodzik)